The Solent is the most iconic and historic America’s Cup venue, dating back to 1851 when the inaugural Cup was a sprint around the Isle of Wight.
To celebrate the America’s Cup racing returning to British waters, event organisers are offering a 15 per cent early bird discount for all for one month across all ticket options, which can be purchased online via Ticketmaster. Furthermore, ticket prices have remained the same as the 2016 ACWS Portsmouth event.
Portsmouth is hosting the second event on the America’s Cup World Series 2020 circuit and it will be the third time the city has hosted the racing. 2020 is set to be another exciting, entertainment-packed weekend, enjoyed by everyone. Teams will come together from across the globe – New Zealand, America and Italy – to join the local home team, INEOS TEAM UK led by five time Olympic medallist, Sir Ben Ainslie, for the fastest sailing show on the Solent.
Sir Ben Ainslie, Team Principal and Skipper, INEOS TEAM UK said: “We are really looking forward to competing in front of our home crowd again. The 2015 and 2016 America’s Cup World Series events in Portsmouth saw an estimated 250,000 fans line the Southsea waterfront. It is so great that Portsmouth has been chosen as only one of two locations outside of New Zealand where people can watch the AC75 foiling monohulls in action. We are confident the racing will deliver a true spectacle.”
- Festival style race village, with large viewing screens throughout
- Live main stage talks with America’s Cup sailors, past and present
- Daily ‘dock out’ shows and post racing analysis with sailors
- Expert race commentary
- Interactive team tents and America’s Cup exhibits
- Global street food experiences and premium food and drink bars
Spectators can watch the action unfold across four days of highly-charged racing, during a two hour race window each day. The Race Village Fanzone will open daily from 10.30 – 18.00 and visitors can choose from one day, weekend and four-day event passes for general admission to the Race Village Fanzone, Premier Grandstand seating or hospitality in the prestigious Emirates Lounge. Children five and under go free and those aged six – 15 are half price with an adult purchaser of a general race village admission ticket.
In order to watch on the water, all boats must be registered. You can register your boat at the World Series Portsmouth website. Find out more about the ticket and event packages at americascup.com/acws/Portsmouth. Follow the America’s Cup on social media: @AmericasCup.
NEW FOR 2020
- Futuristic, fast, foiling 75ft race boats
- 1:1 ‘match racing’ format
- Windward leeward race course configuration – start and finish line positioned close to the shores off Southsea Common
- A new America’s Cup speed record could be set on the Solent!
- Wings out, sails in – the AC75 brings a return to more ‘traditional’ mainsails
- 11 sailors on board with a combined crew weight of 990kgs
Emirates Team New Zealand (NZL)
- Race boat name: Te Aihe
- Representing Yacht Club: Royal New Zealand YC
Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli Team (ITA)
- Race boat name: Luna Rossa
- Representing Yacht Club: Circolo della Vela Sicilia Yacht Club
INEOS TEAM UK (UK) – HOME TEAM
- Race boat name: Britannia
- Representing Yacht Club: The Royal Yacht Squadron – the most prestigious Yacht Club in the World
American Magic (USA)
- Race boat name: Defiant
- Representing Yacht Club: New York Yacht Club